- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
SA and Italy in 4-4 draw at World Student Games
- Updated: July 8, 2013
South Africa were held to a high-scoring 4-4 draw against a tenacious Italy side in their opening match of the men’s hockey tournament on day two of the World Student Games in Kazan, Russia, on Sunday.
Jaco Fourie gave South Africa the lead in the 12th minute, and while Augustin Nunez hit back for Italy midway through the first half, Grant Glutz regained the advantage a little over a minute later.
Davide Grossi equalised again, however, four minutes before half-time as the sides went into the break level at 2-2. With 20 minutes left in the match, Brandon Panther put SA back in front, before Italy yet again levelled the scores through Lorenzo Dussi.
Damian Kimfley handed the South Africans the lead once more, but Nunez saved the Italian outfit, scoring his second goal of the match with less than five minutes left as the teams shared the points. South Africa will face Poland in their next Group A fixture on Monday.