- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Impey an integral part of Tour de France time trial victory
- Updated: July 3, 2013
The South African flag continues to fly proudly at the Tour de France with London Olympian Daryl Impey part of the victorious Orica-Greenedge outfit at the team time trial in Nice on Tuesday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Never favoured to win the 24.8-kilometre time trial in the French port, Impey and Co won the dash by less than a second from Omega Pharma-Quickstep as the top four teams ended within 10sec of each other.
The squad logged the quickest time yet for a Tour de France stage, a speedy 57.8km/h, in a time of 25min 56sec.
The team’s win put veteran Aussie rider Simon Gerrans in the yellow jersey after he had won Monday’s fourth stage on the island of Corsica.
Impey is now second on the GC (General Classification) standings and stands a chance of becoming the first South African to wear the famous maillot jaune after Wednesday’s fifth stage, a 228.5km ride from Cagnes-sur-mer to Marseille, a town where he was based a few years back.
He’s currently on the same time as Gerrans (12:47.24) but all indications are that should he finish 10 places higher than Gerrans on the results sheet he’ll become the first SA rider, indeed the first African rider to pull the yellow jersey over his proud shoulders.
Impey took to his Twitter feed after his team’s historic win: That my friends is a GREAT day! What an awesome victory for our whole @Orica_GreenEDGE team, staff and fans! We are so proud!
Been an incredible last 2 days and to be able to say that I have won a TDF stage is absolutely insane!”