- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Scottish coach has high praise for SA’s Shelley
- Updated: June 21, 2013
Scotland women’s hockey team head coach Gordon Shepherd has come out in praise of the Investec South Africa women’s hockey team’s attacking midfielder Shelley Russell following the four-match Test series that ended in Edinburgh this week.
ÔÇ£I felt Russell was in great form and her pace was used well, and I think her skill set has got better since I last saw her. My players also commented on this,ÔÇØ said the Scotland mentor in reflecting on his team’s 2-1 loss in the series.
SA lost the first Test 3-2 before winning the second and third Test matches 4-1 and 5-2 respectively. The fourth Test was 10-goal thriller with the spoils shared evenly, writes Jon Cook.
Shepherd also feels SA should make more use of Russell’s fellow midfielder, fellow double Olympian and Western Province team-mate, Tarryn Bright. ÔÇ£Bright was good at times but I think they could use her more.ÔÇØ
Another one of the aspects that the canny Scot was impressed with were the SA forwards. ÔÇ£I thought the forwards did very well throughout the series.ÔÇØ Shepherd said the SA forwards’ basic skills were good, as was South Africa’s success in playing long balls through to the strikers.
World No11 South Africa open their campaign at the Investec World League semi-finals tournament when they tackle world No4┬á England on Saturday.