- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
SA’s top cyclists gear up for world champs
- Updated: June 20, 2013
This year’s UCI Road World Championships take place in Toscana, Italy from 22-29 September, and the South African cycling fraternity now await to hear the number of positions available in each category.
Cycling South Africa’s Road Commission will be advised as to the number of positions available by the UCI (International Cycling Union) in the first week of August.
In the interim, potential candidates for the squad have been notified so that they can continue their preparation in the lead-up to the event. Riders will also be provided an additional opportunity to prove their form at the 2013 Bestmed Jock Cycle Classique, presented by ASG (20 July), and the 2013 Clover Tour (7-11 August).
The Italian Road World Champs course is said to be tough, and the area is renowned for its steep hills.
In a big plus for preparations, Cycling SA’s Road Commission has arranged with Team MTN-Qhubeka and team principal Douglas Ryder to use their infrastructure whilst in Italy, and will benefit from the services of their team manager, mechanic, soigneur and vehicles.
A national team will also be selected and announced shortly for the upcoming African Continental Championships, which takes place in Egypt in October, and the annual Tour of Rwanda in November. Last year’s African Continental Championships were held in Burkina Faso.
The Road Commission is also proud to announce that South Africa has been awarded the hosting of the 2014 African Continental road cycling Championships from 3-9 November. And the commission is awaiting approval on their proposal to also host a UCI one-day event on 2 November 2014.