- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
Cremona heaves his way to another shot put title
- Updated: June 18, 2013
Our in form shot-putter, Orazio Cremona added another win to his portfolio at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
Cremona, who has been struggling somewhat with a foot injury, failed to crack the 20-metre barrier on this occasion. But a 19.67 metre heave was good enough to take the title at the meeting in Upsala, Sweden.
“Guess it wasn’t my day to break 20m, but it’s OK, I’ve got another one on 7 July and will be able to regroup and rest before then,” Cremona told Road to Rio 2016 on Tuesday.
“I felt the foot a bit but I still think I should have done better,” he said. His next meeting will be just after his 24th birthday and he’ll no doubt fancy a belated birthday gift of an IAAF A standard distance of 20.60m ahead of the World Championships in Russia later this year.
Meanwhile SA 3000m steeplechase champion Nolene Conrad ended her European trip with a race at the Paavo Nurmi Games in Turku, Finland at the weekend.
She lined up against world record-holder Gulnara Galkina of Russia in the steeple but went into the race slightly injured and ended sixth in 10min 27.34sec. “My last race was a painful one. I strained my calf muscle two days before on a training run so I ran with pain all the way. It didn’t even get better with massage,” she told Road to Rio 2016. “I was scared I might tear it so I eased up during the race.”
Galkina ended up second in the race with a 9:47.38 as Turkey’s G├╝lcan Mingir won in 9:45.80.
Conrad arrived back in South Africa on Tuesday morning and will have a few days recover before lining up for the Spar Ladies Race in ÔÇª and then concentrating on her road race programme for the next period.