- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
Crash sinks world junior champion Sullwald in France
- Updated: June 18, 2013
Wet weather conditions robbed world junior triathlon champion Wian Sullwald of the chance to test himself against Olympic silver medallist Javier Gomez at the weekend.
Sullwald competed in a French Grand Prix event at the weekend but was forced to abandon the three-phase event in the bike leg.
After the swim leg, Sullwald was just 13 seconds behind Spain’s Gomez.
According to Sullwald, he was well on his way to catching up with a group of athletes, including Gomez, when disaster struck.
ÔÇ£It was raining, which meant that the road surface was quite slippery. As luck would have it, just when I raced into a 90 degree corner, the rider in front of me lost control and crashed. I was also knocked off my bike in the process.
ÔÇ£I was back onto my feet immediately and tried to fix what was broken on my bike.┬áBut it was to no avail. My bike’s gears were broken and I had to abandon the race.
ÔÇ£I was angry and frustrated, but then I realised that what had happened to me was simply part of being a tri-athlete. It doesn’t serve any purpose to get worked up about what could have been. I will just have to learn to take the bad with the good.ÔÇØ
Next Saturday (22 June) Sullwald will be competing in another French Grand Prix event and make amends for his disappointment.
Sullwald is currently based in Valence, France, and according to him it is a beautiful town. ÔÇ£I could not have asked for a better place to train. There are fantastic cycling routes, a great athletics track and I have the choice of two swimming pools. What also helps a lot is that I am able to train with some good athletes.ÔÇØ