- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
Le Clos leads SA pack in Monaco
- Updated: June 10, 2013
Olympic gold medallist Chad le Clos won the 100-metre butterfly in final day action as the first stop of the Mare Nostrum swimming series wrapped up in Monaco at the weekend.
Le Clos led from start to finish and touched in 52.11 seconds. World leader this year, Stephen Deibler, was unable to match his 51.19, the German touching second in 52.72.with Russia’s Nikita Konovalov third in 53.17.
On Saturday, Le Clos had won the 200m butterfly in 1:56.34 after overhauling Hungary’s Bence Biczo in the second half of the race. Biczo took silver in 1:57.23.
Fellow South African Michael Meyer took third in the men’s 400m Individual Medley.
His 4:21.30 came in a race won by Japan’s Daiyo Seto from Hungary’s Laszo Cseh.
In the men’s 200m freestyle Jeremy Stravius won in 1:46.88 with Myles Brown and Le Clos flying the SA flag with second (1:48.33) and third (1:50.29) respectively.