- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Viljoen books her World Championships berth
- Updated: June 2, 2013
Sunette Viljoen qualified for this year’s World Athletics Championships with a season’s best effort at the Prefontaine Classic in Eugene on Friday night.
Viljoen, the only South African competing at the Diamond League meeting, finished third in the women’s javelin throw with a second-round heave of 63.00m ÔÇô one metre further than the qualifying mark for the showpiece in Moscow in August.
German Christina Obergfoll, the Olympic silver medallist, won with a best throw of 67.70m, setting a new meeting record.
Olympic 110m hurdles finalist Lehann Fourie is the only South African in the provisional entry lists for the next Diamond League meeting in Rome, Italy, on Thursday.