- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
Warmback in hot water over steroids
- Updated: May 23, 2013
Cape Epic cycling competitor Barry Warmback has tested positive for a banned steroid, according to Cycling South Africa.
Cycling SA has received notification from the UCI (International Cycling Union) of an adverse analytical finding from a sample provided by Warmback on 18 March 2013 at the Absa Cape Epic mountain bike competition.
The analytical report confirmed the presence of the steroid, Stanozolol in his sample. Warmback is therefore provisionally suspended with immediate effect from competing in any event. The SAIDS (South African Institute of Drug-free Sport) process will now take its course.
Cycling SA reiterates its zero-tolerance approach to doping in sport and will continue working with the UCI and SAIDS in the promotion of a drug-free sport via its awareness programmes and extensive testing.