- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
Another impressive win for Anderson
- Updated: May 15, 2013
South African Kevin Anderson has celebrated another fine week on tour with a first round victory over Marin Cilic at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia tournament in Rome on Tuesday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Anderson beat the 11th seeded Croatian in straight sets, 6-3 7-6 to continue his good form.
The two players have already met on this year’s circuit when Cilic beat Anderson in straight sets at the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters.
Anderson’s service provided him with 13 aces compared to Cilic’s seven and noticeable as that Anderson’s first service, at 74% compared to 55%, was way more effective on the day.
Cilic is currently ranked 13th on the ATP Tour rankings and Anderson 27th, one spot down on his career-high.
Reward for Anderson is yet another clash with Czech ace Tomas Berdych who accounted for Uzbekistan’s Denis Istomin in three sets.
Sixth seeded Berdych is yet to lose against Anderson in seven clashes, his last win coming in Madrid as recently as last week.
Meanwhile, our top-ranked women’s singles player, Chani Scheepers, has moved three spots up the WTA rankings and now sits in 57th position.