- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
Another impressive win for Anderson
- Updated: May 15, 2013
South African Kevin Anderson has celebrated another fine week on tour with a first round victory over Marin Cilic at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia tournament in Rome on Tuesday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Anderson beat the 11th seeded Croatian in straight sets, 6-3 7-6 to continue his good form.
The two players have already met on this year’s circuit when Cilic beat Anderson in straight sets at the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters.
Anderson’s service provided him with 13 aces compared to Cilic’s seven and noticeable as that Anderson’s first service, at 74% compared to 55%, was way more effective on the day.
Cilic is currently ranked 13th on the ATP Tour rankings and Anderson 27th, one spot down on his career-high.
Reward for Anderson is yet another clash with Czech ace Tomas Berdych who accounted for Uzbekistan’s Denis Istomin in three sets.
Sixth seeded Berdych is yet to lose against Anderson in seven clashes, his last win coming in Madrid as recently as last week.
Meanwhile, our top-ranked women’s singles player, Chani Scheepers, has moved three spots up the WTA rankings and now sits in 57th position.