- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
Scheepers goes down in Madrid Open
- Updated: May 9, 2013
Chani Scheepers exited the Mutua Madrid Open on Thursday, going down in the second round, writes Mark Etheridge.
After ousting world No19 Jelena Jankovic on Tuesday she came up against another formidable Serbian opponent in the shape of Ana Ivanovic.
Ivanovic is currently ranked 16th on the WTA Tour rankings.
Scheepers went down 6-2 6-2 in a match that lasted five minutes under the 60-minute mark. Outgunned in the aces department to the tune of 6-1, she served up three double faults to her opponent’s one.
Ivanivic will now come up against Britain’s 41st ranked Laura Robson in the third round.