- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
Boost for BMX National Championships
- Updated: April 30, 2013
Cycling SA’s BMX Commission has announced that the BMX National Championships on 22 September, will carry UCI status.
ÔÇ£There is a new system in place for BMX racing where we have to qualify as a country to send riders to the UCI BMX World Championships in 2014,ÔÇØ says Cycling SA BMX Commission Director Margot Gerber.
ÔÇ£The elite riders will all be contributing valuable UCI (International Cycling Union) points from any UCI accredited event that they race in,” continued Gerber. “A higher value of UCI points can be earned in the Supercross World Cups and the highest from the World Champs. By gaining a UCI ranking at our national champs, our riders have an advantage of earning some points whilst racing at home.ÔÇØ
The UCI ranking will only affect the elite BMX riders. The weekend of 21-22 September will also see the running of the final fifth leg of the BMX Grand National Series on the Saturday.
Legs three and four of the Cycling SA-BMX Grand National Series take place in KwaZulu-Natal on 29-30 June 2013. Date for online entries will be announced.