- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Scheepers into Marrakech semi-finals
- Updated: April 27, 2013
Chani Scheepers’ purple patch of form continued at the GP de SAR tournament in Marrakech, Morocco, writes Mark Etheridge.
She’s now into the semi-finals of the $235,000 tournament after victory against Kristina Mladenovic of France in the quarters.
The South African won 6-1 6-2 in 66 minutes. Mladenovic is ranked 19 places higher than Scheepers.
This after having beaten world No26 Sorana Cristea in the first round and then Spain’s Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor in the second.
In her match against Mladenovic there were no aces for Scheepers, only seven double faults.
Her first service percentage of 55% was also not much to write home about but when it came to points won on first service, she was on song, winning 81% on offer.
She’ll now come up against Italy’s Francesca Schiavone, currently ranked 48th in the world.
The two have only met once before when the Italian beat Scheepers in the last 32 at the 2011 US Open. Schiavone won that match-up in three sets.