- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
Scheepers into Marrakech semi-finals
- Updated: April 27, 2013
Chani Scheepers’ purple patch of form continued at the GP de SAR tournament in Marrakech, Morocco, writes Mark Etheridge.
She’s now into the semi-finals of the $235,000 tournament after victory against Kristina Mladenovic of France in the quarters.
The South African won 6-1 6-2 in 66 minutes. Mladenovic is ranked 19 places higher than Scheepers.
This after having beaten world No26 Sorana Cristea in the first round and then Spain’s Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor in the second.
In her match against Mladenovic there were no aces for Scheepers, only seven double faults.
Her first service percentage of 55% was also not much to write home about but when it came to points won on first service, she was on song, winning 81% on offer.
She’ll now come up against Italy’s Francesca Schiavone, currently ranked 48th in the world.
The two have only met once before when the Italian beat Scheepers in the last 32 at the 2011 US Open. Schiavone won that match-up in three sets.