- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
Sprint champion Magakwe sidelined by injury
- Updated: April 25, 2013
Double South African sprint champion Simon Magakwe will miss the national Students’ Championships in Durban this weekend as he battles to recover from injury, writes Mark Etheridge.
Joint SA 100-metre record holder, Magakwe, notched his fifth senior SA 100m title at the recent national championships in Stellenbosch.
He then headed off to two meetings in Mauritius in Reunion where the problem flared up.
“Definitely not running at USSA this year,” Magakwe said this week. “It caught me in Mauritius. It’s a new injury and I’m quite surprised because it’s the right hamstring, not the left.
“So I didn’t finish the race in Reunion,” he told Road to Rio 2016. “It seems I’ll be out for about two weeks.
“It’s very frustrating, especially when I know I’m capable of going quickly right now.”