- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Second win puts Scheepers into quarter-finals
- Updated: April 25, 2013
Our Chani Scheepers has posted back to back wins to book herself a place in the quarter-finals of the WTA GP de Sar tournament in Marrakech, Morocco, writes Mark Etheridge.
After her fine win against Romania’s Sorana Cirstea, currently ranked 26th to her 70th, Scheepers came up against Spain’s Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor.
The Spaniard is ranked 13 places lower than her and proved no match for SA’s top-ranked singles player.
She won in straight sets, 6-2 6-1, after breaking Torr-Flor’s service no less than seven times.
Twenty-nine-year-old Scheepers served two aces en route to victory and match statistics showed a 60% first serve record and she won 63% o points on her first service.
Next in line for Scheepers will be Kristina Mladenovic or Yulia Putintseva of Kazakahstan. The former is seeded seventh for the tournament and is currently ranked 51st in the world while Putintseva is ranked 96th on the WTA rankings.