- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
Second win puts Scheepers into quarter-finals
- Updated: April 25, 2013
Our Chani Scheepers has posted back to back wins to book herself a place in the quarter-finals of the WTA GP de Sar tournament in Marrakech, Morocco, writes Mark Etheridge.
After her fine win against Romania’s Sorana Cirstea, currently ranked 26th to her 70th, Scheepers came up against Spain’s Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor.
The Spaniard is ranked 13 places lower than her and proved no match for SA’s top-ranked singles player.
She won in straight sets, 6-2 6-1, after breaking Torr-Flor’s service no less than seven times.
Twenty-nine-year-old Scheepers served two aces en route to victory and match statistics showed a 60% first serve record and she won 63% o points on her first service.
Next in line for Scheepers will be Kristina Mladenovic or Yulia Putintseva of Kazakahstan. The former is seeded seventh for the tournament and is currently ranked 51st in the world while Putintseva is ranked 96th on the WTA rankings.