- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
Second win puts Scheepers into quarter-finals
- Updated: April 25, 2013
Our Chani Scheepers has posted back to back wins to book herself a place in the quarter-finals of the WTA GP de Sar tournament in Marrakech, Morocco, writes Mark Etheridge.
After her fine win against Romania’s Sorana Cirstea, currently ranked 26th to her 70th, Scheepers came up against Spain’s Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor.
The Spaniard is ranked 13 places lower than her and proved no match for SA’s top-ranked singles player.
She won in straight sets, 6-2 6-1, after breaking Torr-Flor’s service no less than seven times.
Twenty-nine-year-old Scheepers served two aces en route to victory and match statistics showed a 60% first serve record and she won 63% o points on her first service.
Next in line for Scheepers will be Kristina Mladenovic or Yulia Putintseva of Kazakahstan. The former is seeded seventh for the tournament and is currently ranked 51st in the world while Putintseva is ranked 96th on the WTA rankings.