- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
Second win puts Scheepers into quarter-finals
- Updated: April 25, 2013
Our Chani Scheepers has posted back to back wins to book herself a place in the quarter-finals of the WTA GP de Sar tournament in Marrakech, Morocco, writes Mark Etheridge.
After her fine win against Romania’s Sorana Cirstea, currently ranked 26th to her 70th, Scheepers came up against Spain’s Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor.
The Spaniard is ranked 13 places lower than her and proved no match for SA’s top-ranked singles player.
She won in straight sets, 6-2 6-1, after breaking Torr-Flor’s service no less than seven times.
Twenty-nine-year-old Scheepers served two aces en route to victory and match statistics showed a 60% first serve record and she won 63% o points on her first service.
Next in line for Scheepers will be Kristina Mladenovic or Yulia Putintseva of Kazakahstan. The former is seeded seventh for the tournament and is currently ranked 51st in the world while Putintseva is ranked 96th on the WTA rankings.