- SA stars on track for national championships
- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
Dodd back from the US and ready to race
- Updated: April 10, 2013
BMX cycling ace Kyle Dodd has returned from the United States and claimed the first and second legs of the Cycling SA Grand National series.
Racing took place over Easter weekend in Germiston. The BMX commission implemented a new racing format, which was met with great satisfaction from the riders and made for exciting racing over the course of the weekend. The 17-24 and elite classes were grouped together, and the BMX competitors with the best positions from each of the three qualifying heats split into the A, B and C Mains.
Higher points were earned in the A main compared to the B and C respectively, with a field of 25 riders vying for the top spot.
Dodd’s recent stint in the US was a good learning curve for the up-and-coming star. ÔÇ£It was a really good trip,ÔÇØ said Dodd. ÔÇ£I spent two months in the ‘States but only raced in two big races. I am learning a lot in my new category (elite). I always knew the class would be tough and I can see now how fast I have to be.ÔÇØ
Local competition is always a worry when racing at home though. ÔÇ£I have high expectations since returning from the U.S trip,ÔÇØ continues Dodd, pictured right.
ÔÇ£It is always nice to race at home, and the Grand Nationals in Germiston was awesome and it was the most amazing weekend. The riders are training hard, and the track was simply awesome and suited me 100%.ÔÇØ
Dodd won five out of six races on both days, and won all of his mains. There were three normal qualifiers and three mains raced on each day. ÔÇ£It was a good solid weekend of racing and I had good starts with good power.ÔÇØ
Dodd plans to return to the US in September where he will participate in the Disney Classic and the Grands, which sees two-to-three thousand participants and is one of the biggest events held there each year.
The next event on the national BMX calendar are the third and fourth legs of the Grand Nationals, which will be held in KwaZulu-Natal on 29-30 June 2013.
Summary of Results ÔÇô BMX SA Grand Nationals Legs 1&2
1. Kyle Dodd ÔÇô Alrode BMX Club
2. Kane Herbert ÔÇô Alrode BMX Club
3. Jaden Laubscher ÔÇô Kempton Park BMX Club
4. Alex Limberg ÔÇô Alrode BMX Club
5. Christopher Austin ÔÇô Giba Cycling Club
6. Alex Goncalves ÔÇô Giba Cycling Club
7. Lunga Mkhize ÔÇô Giba Cycling Club
8. Jonathan Van der Westhuizen ÔÇô Kempton Park BMX Club
9. Dylan Whittle ÔÇô Kempton Park BMX Club
10. Alex Whitehead ÔÇô Kempton Park BMX Club