- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
Sweet success for Bianca in Salt Lake City
- Updated: April 2, 2013
By Mark Etheridge
Top South African gymnast Bianca Zoonekynd has opened her 2013 competitive season with a bang, taking gold and silver at a recent international competition in the United States.
The competition was the third annual Kalon Ludvigson Invitational in Salt Lake City, Utah and was one of the first trampoline competitions of the new Olympic cycle.
Apart from trampoline the competition featured tumbling, synchronised trampoline and double mini-tramp. Gymnasts from around the world took part.
Zoonekynd, based in Port Elizabeth, took gold in the double mini-tramp and silver in the tumbling. Those results are bound to give the youngster renewed confidence ahead of the World Games in Cali, Colombia later this year where she’s widely expected to be part of Team South Africa. She’s already a double world champion silver medallist (double mini-tramp) in 2010 and 2011.
Telling Road to Rio 2016 of her US trip, Zooneyknd said: “Salt Lake Cit was amazingÔÇª the people were very welcoming and extremely helpful.
“The competition was a great little warm-up to get my competitive year started. In the double mini I was up against the USA and then tumbling against Britain’s best tumbler I was just 0.4 points behind her. I know where I made my mistakes and what I need to to work on so I came home with a positive attitude to fix and prepare for the World Games.
“Training is all good. I just had a little break when I got back, to catch up on work, and now its back to the gym and excited because World Games are only a few months away and time is flying.”
In what spare time she does have, Zoonekynd dabbles in a bit of duck-racing and wake boarding, although her latest race didn’t go as planned at the weekend when the boat flipped.