- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
Venter powers to fourth spot in Italian time trial
- Updated: March 24, 2013
South African Jaco Venter displayed pure power to finish fourth in the individual time trial of the Settimana Internazionale di Coppi e Bartali cycle race in Italy on Saturday.
The ITT took place over 14.3-kilometres and was the penultimate stage of the Italian race. Venter navigated the course in 16 minutes and 44 seconds.
The stage win went to former Italian National TT champion Adriano Malori in 16:14 seconds as Lampre-Merida enjoyed its third stage win in as many days.
After official results were confirmed, MTN-Qhubeka’s Venter said, ÔÇ£I felt really good. I put it in a big gear and just checked my power the whole way and saw straight from the start that I’ve got good legs. Before the race started, I knew my best chance was the TT so I took it easy yesterday to save energy for today. I think it paid off.ÔÇØ
Sergio Pardilla put in a great ride to hold onto his ninth position on the general classification.
One stage remains and the team will look to protect Pardilla’s position and put Kristian Sbaragli in contention for the stage win. ÔÇ£We will give it a real go for Kristian tomorrow as he is our best chance of a stage win,ÔÇØ Venter concluded.