- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
Anderson takes on Argentinian in Sony Open
- Updated: March 22, 2013
Kevin Anderson will come up against an opponent ranked 10 spots lower than him in the second round of the Sony Open tennis tournament in Miami, Florida on Friday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Our top-ranked player, Anderson moved up to 29th in the latest rankings.
He received a bye into the second round and now takes on Horacio Zeballos after the Argentinian beat Netherlands player Thiemo de Bakker 6-1 3-6 6-3 in the first round.
Left-hander Zeballos is currently experiencing his highest ATP ranking (38th) since turning pro in 2003.
Anderson and Zeballos have only met on one occasion with Anderson coming up tops in four sets in the Australian Open last year as Anderson sent down a fine 21 aces.
Meanwhile, also at the Sony Open, our top-ranked women’s player, Chani Scheepers went down to veteran Japanese player Kimiko Date-Krumm, losing in straight sets 6-2 6-0.