- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
Mofu outlines boxing’s plans for 2013
- Updated: March 7, 2013
By Mark Etheridge
New Boxing South Africa President Andile Mofu is busying himself with the new four-year Olympic sporting cycle as well as a new position in the boxing ranks.
Eastern Cape based Mopu, has boxing in his veins and has been a stalwart of the boxing component of South African multi-code teams abroad. He was coach/manager at the London Olympics last year.
He took over from acting President Steve Masike in the latest elections. Formerly known as amateur boxing, the code is now known as Open Boxing.
“The new executive and I have been working around the clock to get the administration in order to pave the way for our year’s programme,” Mofu told Road to Rio 2016 this week.
“We have national trials coming up later this month (22-24 March) in Newcastle, KwaZulu-Natal. All our medallists from the 2012 Open Championships (Elite) in Cape Town will be in action.”
That includes our two Olympian boxers Siphiwe Lusizi and Ayabonga Sonjica. “They’ve both been training had for the trials because this is the platform for them to retain their positions in the national team as a launch pad for the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and then the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.”
Mofu says that after the trials a squad of pugilists will be picked. “The goal is to select a squad of 15 (10 male and five females) as preparation for 2016.”
The trials will take the form of a round-robin format and Mofu and his executive have asked the provinces to feature seven wild cards (five males and two females).
“The wild cards are all boxers with potential, the aim being to open it up for team selection as wide as possible. There’ll also be a training camp after this to prepare for the Zone Championships which will hopefully be held in SA. This will give us a measure as to who we’ll have in the national team.”
On the administration front, there’s also been action. “We have organised AIBA level One courses for both our officials and coaches. This will open the door for our officials to participate in international events especially at AIBA level. This year has been declared as a year of development, aligning ourselves to a better administration. Boxers are our number one customers and we hope to serve them to the best of our ability.”
What about the the South African Championships this year??? Yet again the boxers under the age of 15 are being sidelined. We have not had a South African Championship in 3 years (including 2013)!
we really appreciate such leadership of Mr. Mofu caliber also looking forward to the change that is been draft for the amateur level and Olympic boxing. we hoping for the best on the side of boxers having faith on the leadership that is heading the road to Rio. well done and good luck for the years of change on behalf of boxers.
Mr Mofu and Tatu Sam, i realise the obstacles ahead and i would like to wish you well and goodluck - its time we turn boxing fortunes around and please do not hesitate to contact me for anything.
We welcome the steps being taken in boxing. Many people have been asking when we are going to get medals at the Olympics again after such a very long drought.
My boy wants to make the move from MMA to boxing to go to the olimpics. Who can we contack to find out more about amuture boxing?
Hi there Charlie. Send a mail to Andile Mofu, president of SANABO the amateur section of SA boxing. I'm sure he will be able to help. Here's his email address: [email protected] Hope you come right Mark Etheridge (Managing Editor)