- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Olympians Daryl, Ashleigh take SA time trial titles
- Updated: March 1, 2013
London Olympian Daryl Impey won Thursday’s individual time trial at the national road cycling championships in Nelspruit, Mpumalanga.
Raced over 32.6 kilometres, Impey clocked 42min 53.46 seconds, to beat Jay Robert Thomson into second spot by 16sec (43:09.41).
Third was Johannes Rabie in 43:35. Last year’s winner, Robbie Hunter, didn’t defend his title this year due to international commitments.
Track ace Nolan Hoffman, only recently back from the World Track Championships in Minsk, Belarus, failed to complete the race.
The women’s race was won by another Olympic athlete, Ashleigh Pasio being timed at 50:31. That was good for a 2min 09sec gap ahead of second-placed Lee-Zaan Hinrichsen with All African Games time trial champion Lise Olivier third.
Friday sees the staging of the team trial trial events.