- Strauss hoping title defence will spark return to form
- Defending champ Venter makes his SA senior team debut
- Singh shoots Amajita to victory against Cameroon
- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
Banyana take on the boys in Cyprus Cup preparations
- Updated: February 22, 2013
Banyana Banyana’s preparation for next month’s Cyprus Cup tournament continues to gather momentum and the national senior women’s football side will play a School of Excellence Select Squad in a practice match in Johannesburg on Friday.
The match will take place at the School of Excellence and kicks off at 4pm.
The practice match will give head coach Joseph Mkhonza an opportunity to assess the 22 players he will select to travel with to Cyprus on Monday. The practice match will replace the proposed international friendly match that was due to be played on Saturday.
The Sasol-sponsored Banyana Banyana will then play an international friendly match against Group A side New Zealand on 2 March in Larnaca, Cyprus. Banyana are in Group C together with South Korea, Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland while New Zealand are in Group A with England, Italy and Scotland.
Coach Mkhonza says he is impressed by the players showing since training got underway on Monday (18 February 2013) and feels he has a bunch of players that are ready to take on the world.
ÔÇ£All the players have been giving their best at training; I suppose the competition for places is making them go all out, which is good to see. This will make the job of picking the final squad a demanding task. I will have to make my selection all the same and as I have already said those who don’t make the cut will be called up for future camps.
ÔÇ£It is unfortunate that we couldn’t get official opponents for the friendly match ahead of our departure but I know the boys at the School of Excellence will give us a good match like they have always done. This practice match will give me a chance to assess the players in a more practical match situation,ÔÇØ said Mkhonza.
Banyana Banyana are currently camping at the North West University, High Performance Centre in Potchefstroom as they prepare for the annual Cyprus tournament.