- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
- Bujela and Prinsloo make the running at Randpark
- South African yacht sails to third spot in Cape2Rio
- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
Team SA ready to roll at World Track Championships
- Updated: February 21, 2013
The two-man Team South Africa are ready to race at the UCI World Track Championships in Minsk, Belarus, writes Mark Etheridge.
Nolan Hoffman and Bernard Esterhuizen will wear the green and gold during the championships, and have been in Belarus since Sunday.
Said team manager George Cornelissen on Thursday. “We all arrived safely in Minsk on Sunday afternoon and Nolan and Bernard had their first official training Monday morning. The next day we had another training session which also went well.”
Hoffman, silver medallist at last year’s world championships in Melbourne is first in action. ‘Nolan will compete tonight round about 8.30pm local time in the 15km scratch race ÔÇô 60 laps. He’s looking in good form and is currently relaxing.”
Young Esterhuizen’s race will be on Saturday afternoon. “He’ll be doing sprint only, because he didn’t qualify for the other events .
On the weather, Cornelissen says the team are fine. The temperature is -6 degrees Celcius daily with snow, but the rooms and the Velodrome have a heating system, so its actually summer in here.”