- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
- Paralympian Ferreira on the mend and targeting nationals
- Hoffman stars but track champs are marred by tragedy
Team SA ready to roll at World Track Championships
- Updated: February 21, 2013
The two-man Team South Africa are ready to race at the UCI World Track Championships in Minsk, Belarus, writes Mark Etheridge.
Nolan Hoffman and Bernard Esterhuizen will wear the green and gold during the championships, and have been in Belarus since Sunday.
Said team manager George Cornelissen on Thursday. “We all arrived safely in Minsk on Sunday afternoon and Nolan and Bernard had their first official training Monday morning. The next day we had another training session which also went well.”
Hoffman, silver medallist at last year’s world championships in Melbourne is first in action. ‘Nolan will compete tonight round about 8.30pm local time in the 15km scratch race ÔÇô 60 laps. He’s looking in good form and is currently relaxing.”
Young Esterhuizen’s race will be on Saturday afternoon. “He’ll be doing sprint only, because he didn’t qualify for the other events .
On the weather, Cornelissen says the team are fine. The temperature is -6 degrees Celcius daily with snow, but the rooms and the Velodrome have a heating system, so its actually summer in here.”