- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
- SA win three medals on day one of African Championships
- Former stars Radebe and McCarthy help find new Bafana coach
- SA’s Ahlers one shot off as Canter leads on Outeniqua
- Birkett and Solms blast into lead as Dusi gets under way
Team SA ready to roll at World Track Championships
- Updated: February 21, 2013
The two-man Team South Africa are ready to race at the UCI World Track Championships in Minsk, Belarus, writes Mark Etheridge.
Nolan Hoffman and Bernard Esterhuizen will wear the green and gold during the championships, and have been in Belarus since Sunday.
Said team manager George Cornelissen on Thursday. “We all arrived safely in Minsk on Sunday afternoon and Nolan and Bernard had their first official training Monday morning. The next day we had another training session which also went well.”
Hoffman, silver medallist at last year’s world championships in Melbourne is first in action. ‘Nolan will compete tonight round about 8.30pm local time in the 15km scratch race ÔÇô 60 laps. He’s looking in good form and is currently relaxing.”
Young Esterhuizen’s race will be on Saturday afternoon. “He’ll be doing sprint only, because he didn’t qualify for the other events .
On the weather, Cornelissen says the team are fine. The temperature is -6 degrees Celcius daily with snow, but the rooms and the Velodrome have a heating system, so its actually summer in here.”