- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
Scheepers crashes out in Memphis
- Updated: February 18, 2013
Coco Vandeweghe upset South African sixth seed Chanelle Scheepers at the WTA/ATP US Indoor Championships in Memphis, Tennessee on Sunday.
American Vandeweghe defeated Scheepers, our top-ranked tennis singles player 6-2, 6-1 while Watson outlasted Kazakhstan’s Galina Voskoboeva 7-5, 5-7, 7-6 (7/4) to reach the second round at the $1.58 million hardcourt event, reports Sapa.
Watson will next face the winner between American Melanie Oudin and Czech Andrea Hlavackova while Vandeweghe next plays either American Jamie Hampton or Spanish wildcard Garbine Muguruza.
Slovakian seventh seed Magdalena Rybarikova advanced with a 6-3, 6-1 triumph over France’s Stephanie Foretz Gacon. Rybarikova will next face American Lauren Davis, who rallied past Kazak Ksenia Pervak 5-7, 6-1, 6-3.
Hungary’s Melinda Czink ousted Russia’s Olga Puchkova 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 to book a second-round date with either US qualifier Madison Keys or German third seed Sabine Lisicki.
Belgian Kirsten Flipkens is the women’s top seed while Croatian Marin Cilic is the men’s top seed. Men’s main draw matches begin on Monday.
Our top-ranked men’s player, Kevin Anderson, is still sidelined due to injury, after reaching the fourth round of the Australian Open earlier this year.