- Wöstmann can run her way into SA running history on Sunday
- Nel knocks final hurdle but takes positives away from Ostrava
- Olympians Hudson and Jim return to scene of 2014 triumph
- Legote cock-a-hoop after more rhythmic success
- World-leader Nel faces biggest hurdle of the season in Ostrava
- SA wrap up World Cup campaign with a second place for Hartley
- Simbine takes second spot in Hengelo 100m dash
- Rampant Van Rooyen makes his point at Green Point
- Cronje and other SA aces in Hengelo athletics action
- Hartley fades in final but there’s more SA action on Sunday
Speelman fails to meet selection criteria for Winter Olympic Games
- Updated: January 28, 2013
The South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) has made a decision that Sive Speelman will not be participating in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
This decision was made after recommendation from the High Performance Advisory Committee, which includes the Chair of the Athletes Commission, who is elected specifically to ensure that the athletes rights and needs are protected, to the SASCOC Board who unanimously endorsed the recommendation received. The decision was taken due to the following reasons: In terms of the FIS (International Ski Federation) qualification system; clause 3.1 specifically refers to an A qualification which relates to athletes who are ranked in the first 500 in the Olympic FIS points list; and clause 3.2 specifically refers to the B qualification which makes provision that the National Olympic Committee, that is SASCOC may, should they so desire, take up one allocated slot. In this regard, Speelman has not met the minimum qualification of 140 in the Olympic FIS points list, having achieved 140,126. It is further noted that the athlete concerned is currently ranked 2, 290th in the world. After due consideration and taking into account all the facts relating to the matter, SASCOC as the National Olympic Committee, unfortunately will not be delivering him to the Winter Olympic Games, Sochi 2014. SASCOC will continue to adhere to its selection policies in order to ensure participation at the various multi-coded sports events is of the highest quality.
See more at: http://www.sascoc.co.za/2014/01/23/speelman-fails-to-meet-selection-criteria-for-winter-olympic-games/#sthash.jHyFszxb.dpuf