- Wostmann can run her way to more SA running records at Comrades
- Junior wheelchair stars down Russia in Japan
- Johnson and Lord Louis ride to two first places in Europe
- Hanekom hoping to be part of hurdles final action in Rio
- Hartley will dig deep after ‘disappointing’ World Cup weekend
- Tough going for SA riders at Albstadt World Cup
- Gelant grabs national record as SA athletes shine abroad
- Aloes secure BFNPL seventh spot as they bounce the Baobabs
- Blitzboks bow out to Scotland in Series final
- Blitzboks hold off Argentina to book Cup semi-final spot
Speelman fails to meet selection criteria for Winter Olympic Games
- Updated: January 28, 2013
The South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) has made a decision that Sive Speelman will not be participating in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
This decision was made after recommendation from the High Performance Advisory Committee, which includes the Chair of the Athletes Commission, who is elected specifically to ensure that the athletes rights and needs are protected, to the SASCOC Board who unanimously endorsed the recommendation received. The decision was taken due to the following reasons: In terms of the FIS (International Ski Federation) qualification system; clause 3.1 specifically refers to an A qualification which relates to athletes who are ranked in the first 500 in the Olympic FIS points list; and clause 3.2 specifically refers to the B qualification which makes provision that the National Olympic Committee, that is SASCOC may, should they so desire, take up one allocated slot. In this regard, Speelman has not met the minimum qualification of 140 in the Olympic FIS points list, having achieved 140,126. It is further noted that the athlete concerned is currently ranked 2, 290th in the world. After due consideration and taking into account all the facts relating to the matter, SASCOC as the National Olympic Committee, unfortunately will not be delivering him to the Winter Olympic Games, Sochi 2014. SASCOC will continue to adhere to its selection policies in order to ensure participation at the various multi-coded sports events is of the highest quality.
See more at: http://www.sascoc.co.za/2014/01/23/speelman-fails-to-meet-selection-criteria-for-winter-olympic-games/#sthash.jHyFszxb.dpuf