- Cummins carries over her good form in Student Games final
- Els and Mohlamonyane come out tops in Soweto
- MTN-Qhubeka riders live to ride another day after huge TDF crash
- Women’s side lose final pool game at Student Games
- SA’s world champions battle to second spot at Henley
- Cummins gives SA reason to cheer at World Student Games
- Klaasen through to third round of mixed doubles at Wimbledon
- MTN-Qhubeka 10th after two stages of TDF
- Bruintjies blasts to new SA 100m sprint record
- SA footballers beat Ukraine at World Student Games
SASCOC welcomes renowned boxing champion, Mayweather to SA
- Updated: January 28, 2013
The South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) welcomed to Olympic House, Floyd Mayweather, a renowned and undefeated American boxing champion who arrived in South Africa on a tour of goodwill.
Mayweathers visit comes after a successful National Boxing Indaba, which was hosted by SRSA in 2013 and falls within the overall strategy aimed at the mainstreaming of boxing in South Africa. Mayweathers visit is designed around the theme Reawakening the giant, that goes in line with the all-embracing objective of the Boxing Indaba, which included the resuscitation of boxing in South Africa and the creation of an enabling platform for South African boxing to once more thrive and dominate the world. Says SASCOC President, Gideon Sam: A visit from a truly global fight icon, like Floyd Mayweather, is right on the money in terms of rejuvenating our sport and awakening the sleeping boxing giant in South Africa. The timing of his visit could not have been better as it slots perfectly into the resolutions of last years important Boxing Indaba and the implementation process. I have no doubt that those privileged to be in the areas that Mr Mayweather visits will be abuzz with excitement and eager to soak up his experience and tips to promoters, trainers and coaches. SASCOC CEO, Tubby Reddy adds, We welcome Mayweather to our country and we are fortunate to have a renowned boxing champion visit our nation and interact with our athletes. We hope the excellence Mayweather has shown in the sport of boxing will encourage and motivate our boxers to aim higher and excel at international level. Well done to Sports and Recreation South Africa on all your efforts in making this visit possible and hope it is of immense benefit to South African boxing and sport as a whole. On his tour, Mayweather will conduct motivational talks with amateur and professional boxers, interact with and inspire our local promoters and further engage with the corporate sector to mobilize funds to support South African Boxing.
See more at: http://www.sascoc.co.za/2014/01/15/sascoc-welcomes-the-renowned-boxing-champion-mayweather-to-sa/#sthash.GsDOQcHv.dpuf