- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
- Muizenberg hosts SA’s first Adapative Championships
- SA duo seal silver medals at African Championships
- Harris on the rise after two Futures wins
Montgomery exits junior competition in Melbourne
- Updated: January 24, 2013
Our leading junior tennis player’s run at the Australian Open came to an end on Thursday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Boland based Wayne Montgomery went down in the quarter-finals of the Junior Boys Division in Melbourne.
Seeded seventh for the tournament, he went down 6-1 6-1 to Australian third seed Nick Kyrgios on Show Court 2. The match was done and dusted in 50 minutes with the first set lasting 21 minutes and the second 29.
Kyrgios’ serving game saw him end with nine aces to Montgomery’s one. Only able to notch a 53% first service percentage he nevertheless won 87% of the points on his first service.
That was in contrast to Montgomery who nailed 84% of his first services but won only 40% of the points on offer.