- Mundell 33rd in 50km walk as sprint relay dreams shattered
- It’s a repeat of 2014 national as North West take on Gauteng
- SA wheelchair basketballers bulldoze NZ Roller Blacks
- S Gauteng and WP contest IPT women’s final
- Viljoen into javelin final with just one big throw in Beijing
- SA’s Piontek must put friendship aside at World Championships
- SA’s top rowers are in France, pulling for places in next year’s Olympics
- Tough day at national champs but Gauteng and Free State set for semis
- WP put four past SG Wits as Free State surprise champion Blues
- Jobodwana blitzes to bronze in the 200m to take SA’s medal tally to two in China
Olympic/Paralympic petals come to Olympic House
- Updated: January 22, 2013
SASCOC on Tuesday took delivery of two of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games cauldron petals.
A total of 370 custom-made petals were part of the Olympic and Paralympic Games cauldron in London last year.
Each of the 204 competing nations received complimentary petals which were specially encased in presentation boxes as well as being engraved.
The two petals, crafted out of copper by world-renowned designer Thomas Heatherwick, were delivered to Olympic House in Johannesburg by logistics giants UPS and will be showcased at the country’s Olympic governing body.
“It’s great to have a permanent piece of 2012 London Olympic memorabilia at Olympic House,” said SASCOC Chief Executive Officer, Mr Tubby Reddy.
“These petals will always remind us of Team South Africa’s fine performances at the 2012 London Olympics and Paralympics and serve as an inspiration to the next generation of Olympians and Paralympians.”
Team South Africa won six medals at the Olympics and 29 medals at the Paralympics.
Also on hand to see the delivery of the petals was our Olympic shottist Alistair Davis, along with his father and coach Frank and President of the South African Shooting Sport Federation, Mr Hennie Jacobs. Davis junior competed in the double trap event in London and he’s also a member of SASCOC’s Operation Excellence squad for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
Entrusted with the deliver of the petals were UPS Country Sales manager Jasen Smallbone and Craig Atherfold (Account Director from PR company, Change the Conversation).