- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Anderson moves into Sydney quarter-finals
- Updated: January 9, 2013
Our top-ranked singles player, Kevin Anderson has moved into the quarter-finals of the Apia International tennis tournament in Sydney, writes Mark Etheridge.
After beating Slovenia’s Aljaz Bedene in three sets in the opening match of the $436,000 tournament, he came up against Spain’s Feliciano Lopez in the second round.
Currently ranked 36th in the world, Anderson won in straight sets 6-3 6-4.
He’ll now take on Uzbekistan’s Denis Istomin in the quarter-finals. Istomin is ranked 10 positions lower than Anderson.
Top seed for the tournament is American John Isner.
Meanwhile our top ranked women’s player, Chani Scheepers went down to Germany’s Mona Barthel in the second round of the Hobart International. She lost 7-5 6-3 to the tournament’s ninth seed. This after beating France’s Alice Cornet 6-1 6-2 in the first round.
Scheepers is currently ranked 62nd on the WTA rankings.