- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
- Sunshine Classic will see the Chase hotting up
- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
Le Clos ends a super 2012 with silver in Turkey
- Updated: December 16, 2012
Even an underprepared Chad le Clos managed to bring back two medals from the Fina World Short Course swimming championships in Turkey on Saturday evening, writes Mark Etheridge.
After powering his way to the gold medal in the 100-metre butterfly earlier in the week, the 20-year-old Le Clos took silver in the 50m ‘fly dash on Saturday.
It was the penultimate day of the championships and he touched in 22.26sec from his lane six start.
Brazilian Nicholas Santos swam a 22.22sec championship record to take the gold medal. Earlier he had set championship records in the heats and semi-finals. It was Brazil’s first gold medal at this year’s championships.
Bronze went to American Thomas Shields in 22:28sec.
Le Clos went into the championships, on the back of a shoulder injury as well as having been hospitalised for a particularly bad bout of bronchitis.
All the more reason to salute our two-time 2012 Olympics medallist for his terrific Turkish performance.