- Championship Records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Le Clos ends a super 2012 with silver in Turkey
- Updated: December 16, 2012
Even an underprepared Chad le Clos managed to bring back two medals from the Fina World Short Course swimming championships in Turkey on Saturday evening, writes Mark Etheridge.
After powering his way to the gold medal in the 100-metre butterfly earlier in the week, the 20-year-old Le Clos took silver in the 50m ‘fly dash on Saturday.
It was the penultimate day of the championships and he touched in 22.26sec from his lane six start.
Brazilian Nicholas Santos swam a 22.22sec championship record to take the gold medal. Earlier he had set championship records in the heats and semi-finals. It was Brazil’s first gold medal at this year’s championships.
Bronze went to American Thomas Shields in 22:28sec.
Le Clos went into the championships, on the back of a shoulder injury as well as having been hospitalised for a particularly bad bout of bronchitis.
All the more reason to salute our two-time 2012 Olympics medallist for his terrific Turkish performance.