- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Olympic ace Chad goes after another gold in Istanbul
- Updated: December 15, 2012
Olympic gold medallist Chad le Clos will be out to seal a second medal for South Africa at the Fina World Short Course swimming championships in Turkey on Saturday evening, writes Mark Etheridge.
Le Clos won the 100-metre butterfly earlier in the week and now lines up for the 50m version of the┬á stroke discipline in Istanbul.
After finishing third fastest in his morning heat with a 22.70sec finish, he ended as fourth fastest into the final. Ahead of him was Nicholas Santos, the Brazilian having set a new Championships record of 22.23 in his heat.
Also faster than Le Clos were Thomas Shields (US) with a 22.58 and Frenchman Fr├®d├®rick Bousquet (22.61).
Le Clos’ gold earlier in the championships had come as something of a surprise after having suffered a shoulder injury as well as being hospitalised for a bad bout of bronchitis in the build-up to the last major international meeting of the season.