Hi Gareth, thanks for the excellent coverage of the events so far. Looking forward to your coverage of the athletics events!
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
Swimming cleans up at Zone VI Games
- Updated: December 10, 2012
By Gareth Duncan in Lusaka, Zambia
Team South Africa’s swimming team completed their run at the Zone VI Games with a 57-medal haul.
The swimmers outdid themselves, winning 57 out of a possible 58 medals in the pool. This included a maximum of 32 gold finishes and 25 new tournament records.
This gives South Africa a great platform to beat the 105-medal count they achieved at the last Zone VI Games in Swaziland two years ago.
‘We exceeded our prediction of 50 medals,’ swimming team manager Trevor Teegler told RoadtoRio.co.za. ‘We have set the benchmark for the whole South African squad, and hopefully the other athletes can be just as successful.’
The finds of this tournament were Reynard Wessels (seven gold), Neil de Villiers (five gold), Jarred Crous (three gold) and Kayla Ferreira (six gold and one silver). Kelly Gunnell also added four gold to the three medals she picked up at the 2011 Commonwealth Youth Games in the Isle of Man.
All the women’s and men’s relay teams – the 4x50m freestyle, the 4x100m freestyle and the 4x100m medley – won their respective final races too.
The swimmers return to South Africa on Tuesday afternoon.
Hi Gareth, the Tennis Finals are taking place today and Reinhardt Trollip and Zanmarie Pienaar from Team SA will be fighting it out for SA in the singles matches and both Team SA's doubles men and women teams are through to play in the Finals. Will you be able to watch and comment about the players game performances, as a lot of hard wwork has to be done to win a tennis match. It would be much appreciated if you could please comment a bit on the players games.