- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
Africa’s top gymnasts in SA for Championship event
- Updated: November 22, 2012
A feast of gymnastic entertainment will be on display during December and the continent’s top gymnasts will compete for Africa Championship titles in Pretoria.
All the gymnastics disciplines of Aerobic Gymnastics; Rhythmic Gymnastics; Trampoline; Double Mini Trampoline and Tumbling will be on show when the South African Gymnastics Federation (SAFG) hosts the 11th African Gymnastics Championships at Tukssport Indoor Sports Centre from 8-14 December.
Apart from South Africa countries participating will be Algeria, Angola, Congo, Egypt, Mozambique, Namibia, Senegal, Tunisia and Zimbabwe, with just under 160 participants in total to date.
Entertaining performances by high calibre junior and senior elite level gymnasts from across Africa will be on display. With the Africa Championships occurring every second year in rotating countries, this is a unique opportunity to watch Africa’s best gymnasts live, in our own backyard, as well as offer support to our South African gymnasts taking part.
International gymnastics dignitaries will also be in attendance, such as International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) President,┬áProfessor Bruno Grandi; FIG Deputy Secretary General, Mr Nicolas Buompane; FIG second Vice President, Dr. Michel Leglise; Africa Gymnastics Union (UAG) President, Mr Mohamed Yamani; and UAG Secretary General, Mr Ali Zaater.
In addition, the gymnastics activity continues with the Zone VI Competition 2012, which will be held concurrently to the┬áAfrica Champs, at Matsport Centre and Tukssport Indoor Sports Centre (both Pretoria) from 8-13 December. This competition sees lower-level pre-junior and junior gymnasts competing from Angola; Lesotho; Mozambique; Namibia; South Africa and Zimbabwe. Already 265 gymnasts have registered to compete at this competition.
SAGF welcomes all spectators and gymnastic enthusiasts to come and watch these gymnastics spectacle. Entry is free for all spectators.