- Stings down champs as Jaguars post Brutal record
- Bogey-free Bekker builds four-stroke lead in Lusaka
- National Orders honour for rowing’s ‘Oarsome Foursome’
- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
Africa’s top gymnasts in SA for Championship event
- Updated: November 22, 2012
A feast of gymnastic entertainment will be on display during December and the continent’s top gymnasts will compete for Africa Championship titles in Pretoria.
All the gymnastics disciplines of Aerobic Gymnastics; Rhythmic Gymnastics; Trampoline; Double Mini Trampoline and Tumbling will be on show when the South African Gymnastics Federation (SAFG) hosts the 11th African Gymnastics Championships at Tukssport Indoor Sports Centre from 8-14 December.
Apart from South Africa countries participating will be Algeria, Angola, Congo, Egypt, Mozambique, Namibia, Senegal, Tunisia and Zimbabwe, with just under 160 participants in total to date.
Entertaining performances by high calibre junior and senior elite level gymnasts from across Africa will be on display. With the Africa Championships occurring every second year in rotating countries, this is a unique opportunity to watch Africa’s best gymnasts live, in our own backyard, as well as offer support to our South African gymnasts taking part.
International gymnastics dignitaries will also be in attendance, such as International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) President,┬áProfessor Bruno Grandi; FIG Deputy Secretary General, Mr Nicolas Buompane; FIG second Vice President, Dr. Michel Leglise; Africa Gymnastics Union (UAG) President, Mr Mohamed Yamani; and UAG Secretary General, Mr Ali Zaater.
In addition, the gymnastics activity continues with the Zone VI Competition 2012, which will be held concurrently to the┬áAfrica Champs, at Matsport Centre and Tukssport Indoor Sports Centre (both Pretoria) from 8-13 December. This competition sees lower-level pre-junior and junior gymnasts competing from Angola; Lesotho; Mozambique; Namibia; South Africa and Zimbabwe. Already 265 gymnasts have registered to compete at this competition.
SAGF welcomes all spectators and gymnastic enthusiasts to come and watch these gymnastics spectacle. Entry is free for all spectators.