- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
Africa’s top gymnasts in SA for Championship event
- Updated: November 22, 2012
A feast of gymnastic entertainment will be on display during December and the continent’s top gymnasts will compete for Africa Championship titles in Pretoria.
All the gymnastics disciplines of Aerobic Gymnastics; Rhythmic Gymnastics; Trampoline; Double Mini Trampoline and Tumbling will be on show when the South African Gymnastics Federation (SAFG) hosts the 11th African Gymnastics Championships at Tukssport Indoor Sports Centre from 8-14 December.
Apart from South Africa countries participating will be Algeria, Angola, Congo, Egypt, Mozambique, Namibia, Senegal, Tunisia and Zimbabwe, with just under 160 participants in total to date.
Entertaining performances by high calibre junior and senior elite level gymnasts from across Africa will be on display. With the Africa Championships occurring every second year in rotating countries, this is a unique opportunity to watch Africa’s best gymnasts live, in our own backyard, as well as offer support to our South African gymnasts taking part.
International gymnastics dignitaries will also be in attendance, such as International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) President,┬áProfessor Bruno Grandi; FIG Deputy Secretary General, Mr Nicolas Buompane; FIG second Vice President, Dr. Michel Leglise; Africa Gymnastics Union (UAG) President, Mr Mohamed Yamani; and UAG Secretary General, Mr Ali Zaater.
In addition, the gymnastics activity continues with the Zone VI Competition 2012, which will be held concurrently to the┬áAfrica Champs, at Matsport Centre and Tukssport Indoor Sports Centre (both Pretoria) from 8-13 December. This competition sees lower-level pre-junior and junior gymnasts competing from Angola; Lesotho; Mozambique; Namibia; South Africa and Zimbabwe. Already 265 gymnasts have registered to compete at this competition.
SAGF welcomes all spectators and gymnastic enthusiasts to come and watch these gymnastics spectacle. Entry is free for all spectators.