- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
Paralympian Maripa in Eastern Cape action
- Updated: November 20, 2012
The 2012 SA Wheelchair Tennis calendar ends with the ACSA Eastern Cape Open in Port Elizabeth on 5-8 December and London Paralympian Evans Maripa will be in action.
Sanctioned by both the International Tennis Federation (ITF), the event is also part of the NEC World Wheelchair Tennis Tour. The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University in Summerstrand will be the venue for the event.
Around 80 players are expected to participate in the tournament. The majority of the players being from regional programmes. Future Level Events such as this tournament gives the players an opportunity to gain world ranking points and valuable competitive experience.
The Open Men’s Draw is guaranteed to offer exciting top class tennis with Maripa, SA’s No1 and Nyasha Mharakurwa, Zimbabwe’s No1 player competing. Other top players to wheel it out for the trophy are local ace Marshall Marsh and Leon Els from Potchefstroom who are respectively ranked No3 and 4 in SA.
The junior division is certainly one of the most competitive draws and will capture a fair amount of attention as a number of our top junior players have qualified and been invited to participate in the Cruyff Foundation Junior Masters that will take place in France from 24-27 January 2013. Gift Lekhanyane and Mariska Venter, SA’s No1 and No2 juniors as well as the exciting Thato Tsomole will be representing South Africa at this esteemed event and definitely use the Eastern Cape Open as preparation for the prestige Junior Masters.
Other top juniors to watch at the tournament are Sean de Hilster, Mabel Mankgele and Thando Hlastwayo.