- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
Top award for Olympic swimmer Wendy
- Updated: November 19, 2012
Our 2012 London Olympics swimmer Wendy Trott, who graduated this year after a hugely successful career with the Georgia Bulldogs, was recently named a recipient of Todays Top 10 Award.
The award is given annually to 10 NCAA student-athletes who have excelled both academically and athletically.
Trott is a five-time SEC Champion and three-time NCAA champion. A distance specialist, she was the first in SEC history to win the mile all four years. Shes a school record holder in the 1000 and the mile and a two-time Olympian for South Africa.
Outside the pool, Trott has received several accolades as well. Just this year, she was recognised as the swimmer with the highest GPA at NCAAs, the senior with the highest GPA in the athletic programme at UGA, and the graduating female senior with the highest GPA at UGA. She graduated with a major in international affairs and a minor in French.
The Todays Top 10 Award winners Trott and nine others who used up their last year of eligibility in 2011-2012 will be recognised during the NCAA Convention in Texas this January. An NCAA Honours committee comprised of administrators from various institutions and former student-athletes selects the recipients each year. Trott was the only swimmer named an honoree this year.