- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
More medals as Team SA wrap up continental campaign
- Updated: November 12, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
Team South Africa wrapped up their Africa Continental Championships with two more medals at a sweltering Ougoudougou in Burkina Faso on Sunday.
The Under-23 and Elite men were in action on the final day of the championships, the 170-kilometre road race.
“The guys had to do 10 laps of 17km,” said team manager George Corneilissen. “It was extremely hot with the temperature pushing up to about 45 degrees Celcius. We went through a lot of water and ice but luckily there was plenty of that available.
“Jay Thompson broke away after about 40km with an Eritrean rider and these two stayed away all the way. Then with about 700m to go the Eritrean caught Jay napping and got away to win, so Jay ended second.
“In the Under-23 race, young Khayelitsha rider Songezo Jim [he rides for MTN-Qhubeka] took third.”
At the end of an eventful championships that saw the team’s baggage and bikes arriving as late as Thursday, Team South Africa will return with nine medals. “I may be speaking too soon but I think that makes us continental champions,” Cornelissen told Road to Rio 2016.