- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
Ashleigh leads Team SA to full house of women’s medals
- Updated: November 11, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
Team South Africa’s cyclists rode to more medals at the Africa Continental Championships in Ougadougou, Burkina Faso on Saturday.
On another hot and humid day in the African nation, it was gold, silver and bronze for our women’s riders in the road race.
“Our three girls broke away and rode together from start to finish,” said team manager George Cornelissen. “They opened a gap the longer the race went,” he told Road to Rio 2016.
After four rounds of 17 kilometres gold went to Ashleigh Moolman Pasio, silver to Anli Pretorius and Lise Olivier rounded off the medal podium.
In the junior men’s race of 85km, Nico Geldenhuys was the best South African finisher when he took silver after a sprint for the line.
“After about 18km there was a breakaway of six riders with Nico and Jevandre Pauls both in contention.
“Two Algerian riders were keeping an eye on our guys all the time. All six raced for the line and the Algerian just beat Nico after Jevandre had given him a lead-out. Jevandre ended sixth.