- Championship Records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Ashleigh leads Team SA to full house of women’s medals
- Updated: November 11, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
Team South Africa’s cyclists rode to more medals at the Africa Continental Championships in Ougadougou, Burkina Faso on Saturday.
On another hot and humid day in the African nation, it was gold, silver and bronze for our women’s riders in the road race.
“Our three girls broke away and rode together from start to finish,” said team manager George Cornelissen. “They opened a gap the longer the race went,” he told Road to Rio 2016.
After four rounds of 17 kilometres gold went to Ashleigh Moolman Pasio, silver to Anli Pretorius and Lise Olivier rounded off the medal podium.
In the junior men’s race of 85km, Nico Geldenhuys was the best South African finisher when he took silver after a sprint for the line.
“After about 18km there was a breakaway of six riders with Nico and Jevandre Pauls both in contention.
“Two Algerian riders were keeping an eye on our guys all the time. All six raced for the line and the Algerian just beat Nico after Jevandre had given him a lead-out. Jevandre ended sixth.