- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Kevin, Chani’s 2012 season winds up
- Updated: November 6, 2012
Our top two men’s and women’s singles players, Kevin Anderson and Chani Scheepers ended 36th and 60th in the global tennis rankings for 2012, writes Mark Etheridge.
The international tennis circuit winds up with the ATP World Tour Finals in London this week.
But neither Anderson nor Scheepers are in action at this tournament meaning that this week’s rankings released by the ATP and WTA are their final spots for 2012.
Meanwhile there were more achievements for South African players this week.
In the Geneva Open, third-seeds Raven Klaasen and his Swedish partner Johan Brunstrom took the doubles title.
They beat fourth seeds Philipp Marx of Germany and Florin Mergia of Romania 7-6 6-7 10-5 in the Euros 64,000 Swiss tournament. That saw them winning Euros 3,950.
In the same tournament South African Rik de Voest and Australian partner Jordan Kerr lost in the second round.
And in the junior ranks Ilze Hattingh (Gauteng North) and Theresa van Zyl (Northern Cape) will soon be packing their suitcases. The International Tennis Federation and the Grand Slam Development Fund have invited the pair to be part of the ITF/GSDF International 18 & U
Team Yucatan Cup in Mexico, Eddie Herr Championships and Orange Bowl 2012 in the US.
The project is being financed by the Grand Slam Development Fund (GSDF) and administered by the ITF Development Department.