- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
Paralympian Maripa wins Strand Open
- Updated: October 9, 2012
A member of Team South Africa at the 2012 London Paralympics, Evans Maripa has won the ACSA Strand Open tennis tournament.
The top seeded Maripa came up with a near-perfect performance to dominate both the match and the tournament with the use of heavy balls, and exceptional pace.
His game was focused and deadly, and gave the crowds a real display of top level tennis. After trouncing third-seeded Leon Els 6-0 6-1 in a one sided affair, he left no doubt in people’s minds why he went to the Paralympics, and why he is definitely a name to remember for the 2016 Paralympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
In the women’s draw, Rose van der Meer continued her dominance as she posted a convincing┬á 6-1 7-5 victory over Mabel Mankgele.┬áAlthough the result was as expected, Mankgele put up a good fight in the second set, and will certainly be someone to watch when Van der Meer plays for her fourth singles title in a row in December.
Like Van der Meer, Gift Lekhanyane seems unstoppable in the Junior Division. His splendid 6-0 6-1 victory over Thando Hlatswayo in this event gives him four straight singles titles and not only confirms his status as top junior in the country but bears testament to his ranking in the top seven junior players in the world.