- Amajita play Mali twice in CAF warm-ups
- Fitzpatrick’s road to Tokyo starts in Dubai
- Rookies Conradie and Spacey chase hard at Ruimsig
- ASA launches new four-meeting track and field series
- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
SA down India in thriller
- Updated: October 6, 2012
The South African women’s team advanced to the Champions Challenge 5th/6th place play-offs as they beat India 3-2 thanks to a Golden Goal by hat-trick hero Izelle Lategan.
Lategan starred for victors as she scored all of South Africa’s goals. The Under-21 skipper helped the team to a comfortable 2-0 lead during the opening seven minutes.
India pulled one back before the break through their skipper Rani.
There was some late drama during the second stanza as India levelled the scores via Aupa Barla at the death, forcing the match to go into extra-time.
However, Lategan did the business for the South African ladies, securing the deciding score and her third goal. The young team will now play against Belgium for 5th place in Dublin.