- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
SA down India in thriller
- Updated: October 6, 2012
The South African women’s team advanced to the Champions Challenge 5th/6th place play-offs as they beat India 3-2 thanks to a Golden Goal by hat-trick hero Izelle Lategan.
Lategan starred for victors as she scored all of South Africa’s goals. The Under-21 skipper helped the team to a comfortable 2-0 lead during the opening seven minutes.
India pulled one back before the break through their skipper Rani.
There was some late drama during the second stanza as India levelled the scores via Aupa Barla at the death, forcing the match to go into extra-time.
However, Lategan did the business for the South African ladies, securing the deciding score and her third goal. The young team will now play against Belgium for 5th place in Dublin.