- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
- Five-stroke cushion as Mistry makes her move
SA down India in thriller
- Updated: October 6, 2012
The South African women’s team advanced to the Champions Challenge 5th/6th place play-offs as they beat India 3-2 thanks to a Golden Goal by hat-trick hero Izelle Lategan.
Lategan starred for victors as she scored all of South Africa’s goals. The Under-21 skipper helped the team to a comfortable 2-0 lead during the opening seven minutes.
India pulled one back before the break through their skipper Rani.
There was some late drama during the second stanza as India levelled the scores via Aupa Barla at the death, forcing the match to go into extra-time.
However, Lategan did the business for the South African ladies, securing the deciding score and her third goal. The young team will now play against Belgium for 5th place in Dublin.