- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
SA down India in thriller
- Updated: October 6, 2012
The South African women’s team advanced to the Champions Challenge 5th/6th place play-offs as they beat India 3-2 thanks to a Golden Goal by hat-trick hero Izelle Lategan.
Lategan starred for victors as she scored all of South Africa’s goals. The Under-21 skipper helped the team to a comfortable 2-0 lead during the opening seven minutes.
India pulled one back before the break through their skipper Rani.
There was some late drama during the second stanza as India levelled the scores via Aupa Barla at the death, forcing the match to go into extra-time.
However, Lategan did the business for the South African ladies, securing the deciding score and her third goal. The young team will now play against Belgium for 5th place in Dublin.