- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
- Paralympian Ferreira on the mend and targeting nationals
- Hoffman stars but track champs are marred by tragedy
- Fumic, Avancini on the double at Cape Epic
- Poor health can’t stop Dalle Ave breaking new ground
- Zazini blitzes to 400m hurdles world youth best
SA down India in thriller
- Updated: October 6, 2012
The South African women’s team advanced to the Champions Challenge 5th/6th place play-offs as they beat India 3-2 thanks to a Golden Goal by hat-trick hero Izelle Lategan.
Lategan starred for victors as she scored all of South Africa’s goals. The Under-21 skipper helped the team to a comfortable 2-0 lead during the opening seven minutes.
India pulled one back before the break through their skipper Rani.
There was some late drama during the second stanza as India levelled the scores via Aupa Barla at the death, forcing the match to go into extra-time.
However, Lategan did the business for the South African ladies, securing the deciding score and her third goal. The young team will now play against Belgium for 5th place in Dublin.