- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Eight more medals for SA at African Championships
- Updated: September 16, 2012
Team South Africa won a medal in every race on the penultimate day of the 11th African Senior Swimming Championships in Nairobi, Kenya on Saturday.
That saw them add an additional eight medals to their tally (five gold, one silver and two bronze) and Mandy Loots and Lehesta Kemp both claimed two gold medals in the evening finals.
Loots won the 200-metre individual medley in 2min 20.55sec ahead of teammate Rene Warnes in 2:22.60 while Kemp sped to the 50m freestyle gold in 26.08.
As part of the 400m medley relay quartet, Loots, Kemp as well as Tara Nicholas and Nathania van Niekerk raced ahead to take the gold with a 10-second lead, clocking 4:18.31 to Egypt’s 4:29.08 and Algeria’s 4:34.61.
In the 200m backstroke, Mzansi then took both the gold and bronze medals with Ricky Ellis finishing first in 57.75 and Michael Meyer in third with 59.42.
Myles Brown added yet another gold medal to his tally in the 1500m freestyle followed by a bronze medal in the 200m butterfly.
Brown ended the freestyle event in a time of 16:04.69 and clocked 2:05.45 in the butterfly.
The 11th African Senior Swimming Championships come to an end on Sunday.