- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
- Sunshine Classic will see the Chase hotting up
- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
Eight more medals for SA at African Championships
- Updated: September 16, 2012
Team South Africa won a medal in every race on the penultimate day of the 11th African Senior Swimming Championships in Nairobi, Kenya on Saturday.
That saw them add an additional eight medals to their tally (five gold, one silver and two bronze) and Mandy Loots and Lehesta Kemp both claimed two gold medals in the evening finals.
Loots won the 200-metre individual medley in 2min 20.55sec ahead of teammate Rene Warnes in 2:22.60 while Kemp sped to the 50m freestyle gold in 26.08.
As part of the 400m medley relay quartet, Loots, Kemp as well as Tara Nicholas and Nathania van Niekerk raced ahead to take the gold with a 10-second lead, clocking 4:18.31 to Egypt’s 4:29.08 and Algeria’s 4:34.61.
In the 200m backstroke, Mzansi then took both the gold and bronze medals with Ricky Ellis finishing first in 57.75 and Michael Meyer in third with 59.42.
Myles Brown added yet another gold medal to his tally in the 1500m freestyle followed by a bronze medal in the 200m butterfly.
Brown ended the freestyle event in a time of 16:04.69 and clocked 2:05.45 in the butterfly.
The 11th African Senior Swimming Championships come to an end on Sunday.