- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
Eight more medals for SA at African Championships
- Updated: September 16, 2012
Team South Africa won a medal in every race on the penultimate day of the 11th African Senior Swimming Championships in Nairobi, Kenya on Saturday.
That saw them add an additional eight medals to their tally (five gold, one silver and two bronze) and Mandy Loots and Lehesta Kemp both claimed two gold medals in the evening finals.
Loots won the 200-metre individual medley in 2min 20.55sec ahead of teammate Rene Warnes in 2:22.60 while Kemp sped to the 50m freestyle gold in 26.08.
As part of the 400m medley relay quartet, Loots, Kemp as well as Tara Nicholas and Nathania van Niekerk raced ahead to take the gold with a 10-second lead, clocking 4:18.31 to Egypt’s 4:29.08 and Algeria’s 4:34.61.
In the 200m backstroke, Mzansi then took both the gold and bronze medals with Ricky Ellis finishing first in 57.75 and Michael Meyer in third with 59.42.
Myles Brown added yet another gold medal to his tally in the 1500m freestyle followed by a bronze medal in the 200m butterfly.
Brown ended the freestyle event in a time of 16:04.69 and clocked 2:05.45 in the butterfly.
The 11th African Senior Swimming Championships come to an end on Sunday.