- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Du Toit sets up one more crack at Games glory
- Updated: September 7, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
A stellar swimming career is all but over now as Paralympic legend Natalie du Toit cruised into her final race here on Friday.
Swimming her final competition, Du Toit was quickest into the final of the S9 100-metre freestyle with a time of 1min 02.95sec, setting up an excellent chance of a fourth gold medal at the Games on Friday evening.
Also in action at the same event, Emily Gray’s 1:08.01 wasn’t enough to take her through to the final ÔÇô her Games are now done and she can already start looking forward to Rio de Janeiro, 2016.
Like Du Toit, Charl Bouwer also has three medals at these Games but in his case, one gold and two silvers.
He has a chance to add to that collection on Friday night after a 2:15.28 qualifier in the S13 200m IM in the morning.
Whether he can get gold is another question altogether as this class has been dominated by the Belarussian sensation Ihar Boki who swims world records as if they are everyday training sets.
On Friday Boki went 2:09.89 and will be a clear favourite for gold again.
A bronze medallist here already, Hendrik Herbst snuck into the final of the S11 400m free as slowest qualifier with an African record of 5:08.87.
On the track another two-time medallist, in the shape of Dyan Buis, qualified for the final of the T38 200m. He already has a silver and bronze medal from the 100m and long jump earlier in the Games.
Buis ran 22.57, the fastest qualifier while Union “Magesh” Sekailwe’s 24.01 saw him as the final qualifier.