- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
- Sheer skill as SA duo clean up on world stage
- It’s an all-SA Championship showdown in Humewood final
- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
Birthday girl Anika looks set to jump for SA
- Updated: September 4, 2012
Birthday girl Anika Pretorius had a pleasant surprise awaiting her at the Paralympic Games in London on Monday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Visually impaired long jumper Pretorius, whose birth name is Johanna, but who has always been known as Anika, had been battling with a hamstring injury.
“I’ve had it before, but only back in Grade 10,” said the 19-year-old Stellenbosch based athlete. “I’ve been to the physios and finally had a scan but the doctors said today it’s not that serious and I’ll be able to compete again.”
Her competition is only in a few days time so she’s hoping some more physiotherapy will sort things out.
“Once my competition is done then I plan to celebrate with perhaps a nice piece of cake,” she laughed.