- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
Birthday girl Anika looks set to jump for SA
- Updated: September 4, 2012
Birthday girl Anika Pretorius had a pleasant surprise awaiting her at the Paralympic Games in London on Monday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Visually impaired long jumper Pretorius, whose birth name is Johanna, but who has always been known as Anika, had been battling with a hamstring injury.
“I’ve had it before, but only back in Grade 10,” said the 19-year-old Stellenbosch based athlete. “I’ve been to the physios and finally had a scan but the doctors said today it’s not that serious and I’ll be able to compete again.”
Her competition is only in a few days time so she’s hoping some more physiotherapy will sort things out.
“Once my competition is done then I plan to celebrate with perhaps a nice piece of cake,” she laughed.