- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
Birthday girl Anika looks set to jump for SA
- Updated: September 4, 2012
Birthday girl Anika Pretorius had a pleasant surprise awaiting her at the Paralympic Games in London on Monday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Visually impaired long jumper Pretorius, whose birth name is Johanna, but who has always been known as Anika, had been battling with a hamstring injury.
“I’ve had it before, but only back in Grade 10,” said the 19-year-old Stellenbosch based athlete. “I’ve been to the physios and finally had a scan but the doctors said today it’s not that serious and I’ll be able to compete again.”
Her competition is only in a few days time so she’s hoping some more physiotherapy will sort things out.
“Once my competition is done then I plan to celebrate with perhaps a nice piece of cake,” she laughed.