- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
- Bujela and Prinsloo make the running at Randpark
- South African yacht sails to third spot in Cape2Rio
- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
- Local caddie bags big bonus after Storm’s win
- Storm stays calm as he holds off McIlroy to win SA Open
- Productive camp for Banyana ahead of French clash
- Storm hits last round of SA Open with three-stroke lead
Birthday girl Anika looks set to jump for SA
- Updated: September 4, 2012
Birthday girl Anika Pretorius had a pleasant surprise awaiting her at the Paralympic Games in London on Monday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Visually impaired long jumper Pretorius, whose birth name is Johanna, but who has always been known as Anika, had been battling with a hamstring injury.
“I’ve had it before, but only back in Grade 10,” said the 19-year-old Stellenbosch based athlete. “I’ve been to the physios and finally had a scan but the doctors said today it’s not that serious and I’ll be able to compete again.”
Her competition is only in a few days time so she’s hoping some more physiotherapy will sort things out.
“Once my competition is done then I plan to celebrate with perhaps a nice piece of cake,” she laughed.