- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
Birthday girl Anika looks set to jump for SA
- Updated: September 4, 2012
Birthday girl Anika Pretorius had a pleasant surprise awaiting her at the Paralympic Games in London on Monday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Visually impaired long jumper Pretorius, whose birth name is Johanna, but who has always been known as Anika, had been battling with a hamstring injury.
“I’ve had it before, but only back in Grade 10,” said the 19-year-old Stellenbosch based athlete. “I’ve been to the physios and finally had a scan but the doctors said today it’s not that serious and I’ll be able to compete again.”
Her competition is only in a few days time so she’s hoping some more physiotherapy will sort things out.
“Once my competition is done then I plan to celebrate with perhaps a nice piece of cake,” she laughed.