Hi there. The IPC/LOCOG HAVE been informed of the correct name usage but I guess the wheels turn very slowly in that organisation. For my part I have always called them by their correct names or the names they wish to be called. Thanks for the input, as per usual Mark Etheridge (Managing Editor: Road to London 2012 website and magazine) and part of Team SA in London
- Stings down champs as Jaguars post Brutal record
- Bogey-free Bekker builds four-stroke lead in Lusaka
- National Orders honour for rowing’s ‘Oarsome Foursome’
- Fireballs douse Flames’ challenge in Brutal encounter
- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
SASCOC congratulate Charl, Union on silver, bronze
- Updated: September 3, 2012
South Africa’s medal haul at the 2012 Paralympic Games grew by another two in London on Monday night.
Starting the day with 10 medals, Monday saw Charl Bouwer and Union Sekailwe adding silver and bronze to Team SA’s collection.
Bouwer won silver in the S13 100-metre backstroke while Sekailwe took bronze in the T38 400-metre track final. This is Bouwer’s third medal here, having won gold and silver earlier in the Games.
Their medals mean that South African now have 12 medals in total at these Games two gold, five silver and five bronze.
Congratulating the latest medal-winners, SASCOC CEO Mr Tubby Reddy said: “Charl has really excelled here in London. He’s only 22 but this is his third Paralympic Games and he already has three medals. He is definitely keeping the medal momentum going.
“And well done to Union as well. It’s excellent to see him medalling at his first Paralympics and he still has a few more events to come.”
South Africa won 30 medals at the 2008 Paralympics and these Games come to a conclusion on Sunday, 9 September.
When are you people going to inform the IPC/LOCOG that CHARL Bouwer's name is NOT! CHARLES!!!! It is very irritating to see and hear the wrong name all the time! I wonder how he must feel about it. Another member of our team the IPC/LOCOG have misnamed is ANIKA Pretorius, they have listed her as JOHANNA Pretorius. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE see to this issue.