- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
Time for Paralympians to shine
- Updated: August 17, 2012
The Olympics done and dusted South Africa’s Paralympic aces now come under the spotlight.
The 2012 Paralympics get underway in London on 29 August and will come to a close on 9 September.
A strong team of 62 athletes will fly the flag for South Africa at these Paralympics and will be hoping to emulate or improve on the 2008 team in Beijing that returned with 30 medals, 21 of them gold.
Team SA will assemble in Johannesburg on Sunday, 19 August for their final preparations.
The team will spend three days together, during which they will be kitted out as well as fine-tune their preparations in the seven sporting codes that they will be represented in during the Games.
The codes that South Africa will contest are┬áathletics, cycling, equestrian, rowing, swimming, wheelchair basketball and wheelchair tennis.
Sunday will see the team being addressed by Chef de Mission Pieter Badenhorst while there will also be various presentations to prepare the team fully for their London mission.
The farewell banquet for Team South Africa will take place in Johannesburg on Monday evening, 20 August and the team jets off to London on Tuesday evening.
A farewell press conference for the team will take place the same day.