- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
Time for Paralympians to shine
- Updated: August 17, 2012
The Olympics done and dusted South Africa’s Paralympic aces now come under the spotlight.
The 2012 Paralympics get underway in London on 29 August and will come to a close on 9 September.
A strong team of 62 athletes will fly the flag for South Africa at these Paralympics and will be hoping to emulate or improve on the 2008 team in Beijing that returned with 30 medals, 21 of them gold.
Team SA will assemble in Johannesburg on Sunday, 19 August for their final preparations.
The team will spend three days together, during which they will be kitted out as well as fine-tune their preparations in the seven sporting codes that they will be represented in during the Games.
The codes that South Africa will contest are┬áathletics, cycling, equestrian, rowing, swimming, wheelchair basketball and wheelchair tennis.
Sunday will see the team being addressed by Chef de Mission Pieter Badenhorst while there will also be various presentations to prepare the team fully for their London mission.
The farewell banquet for Team South Africa will take place in Johannesburg on Monday evening, 20 August and the team jets off to London on Tuesday evening.
A farewell press conference for the team will take place the same day.