- Swiss experience helps Beyers take two track titles
- SA’s developing sailors to battle it out in historic regatta
- Triple boost for Dazel’s women’s sevens side
- SA stars on track for national championships
- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
Mxit announced as official Team SA social network at 2012 Games
- Updated: July 30, 2012
Mxit, Africa’s biggest social network, is the official social network for Team SA at the London 2012 Summer Olympics.
The dedicated portal, olympics_sa, has already attracted over 200 000 supporters who have sent messages of support and congratulations to Team SA.
SASCOC (South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee) partnered with Mxit to provide the 10 million active users on Mxit with daily information on how the team is doing at the games.
This is the first time that Team SA has partnered with a social network for an Olympic event. Sphiwe Mahlangu of Mxit says, “We want to be sure that Team SA knows it has the nation behind them and our portal will make sure that they can get messages from their supporters back home.”
Said SACOC Chief Executive Officer Mr Tubby Reddy: “In our drive to make sport accessible to all and sundry this is yet another innovative way of getting the message across to sports-mad South Africans. I’m sure this network will be an extremely invaluable tool in accessing sporting communication.”
Mxit has over 50 Million registered users, on a typical day Mxit users send and receive over 750 Million messages. Mxit is operational on over 3000 different makes of cellphones, including Feature phones and WAP enabled phone, this enables people from every corner of South Africa to engage on the TEAM SA Portal, and send messages to their favorite athletes.