- Lamprecht’s great form continues as he leads at Leopard Creek
- Jobodwana, Gelant shine at Speed Series in Durban
- Temple-Jones hard at work keeping Blitzboks in tip-top shape
- Klaasen bags a fourth ATP World Tour doubles title in the US
- Strauss hoping title defence will spark return to form
- Defending champ Venter makes his SA senior team debut
- Singh shoots Amajita to victory against Cameroon
- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
Gold for Harmse, Fourie
- Updated: July 1, 2012
By Mark Etheridge
Team South Africa picked up more metalware on the penultimate day of the Africa Senior athletics championships in Benin on Saturday.
Veteran hammer-thrower Chris Harmse took gold with a hurl of 77.22 metres while Lehann Fourie won the 110m hurdles title in 13.60 seconds.
In the women’s javelin 2011 All Africa Games competitors Justine Robbeson and Gerlize de Klerk took silver and bronze with effortsof 52.81 and 49.85 respectively.
The mens sprints saw Thuso Mpuang as fastest man in the heats with a 20.95 effort in the heats, followed by 100m champion Simon Magakwe (21.15) and Anaso Jobodwana (already qualified for the London Olympics) 10th and 11th quickest with 21.15 and 21.19.
In the semi-finals Magakwe and Mpuang were fourth and fifth fastest into the final (20.66 and 20.70) as Jobodwana dropped out.
The women’s 200m saw Tsholofelo Thipe as the second fastest in the heats with a 23.45 and her 23.31 in the semi-finals was also second quickest as she progressed into the final.
Also going through to their finals were 400m hurdlers Wenda Theron and Janet Lawless and the 500m trio of Juan van Deventer, Peter van der Westhuizen and Johan Cronje.
Theron were second and third fastest into the final with times of 56.20 and 56.51.
Then in the men’s “metric mile” it was Van Deventer who was quickest of our three competitors ÔÇô fifth overall in 3:41.37 while Van der Westhuizen ran 3:42.60 and Cronje’s 3:42.70 was the 12th quickest and last qualifier.