- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
Big test for SA
- Updated: June 10, 2012
South African women’s hockey’s next step towards fine-tuning preparations ahead of the London Olympics later this year comes in London on Sunday afternoon.
That’s when our 12th ranked Investec side meets world number three Germany in the Investec London Cup bronze medal match in west London.
The SA versus Germany battle for third place will be live on SuperSport 6 at 2.15pm SA time Sunday.
SA suffered the heartbreak of losing to world number one and Olympic Games champions Holland 4-2 in a penalty shootout in the semi-finals on Saturday after the scores were 2-2 at full-time.
World number seven Australia beat Germany 3-2 in second semi-final and will tackle Holland in the gold medal match, which is also live on SuperSport 6 at 5pm SA time Sunday.
Last Tuesday, world 12 SA upset world No4 Great Britain 3-1 in their opening Pool B match in this six-nation competition that also includes Ireland, and were disappointed to be shaded 1-0 by world No3 Germany in their other Pool B match on Wednesday, and then lose a shootout to world number one-ranked Holland after being 2-2 at full-time in the semi-finals.
“With six weeks to go before London 2012 we are not close to where we want to be, but the results give us a good indication of where we are against the top teams and it’s very encouraging,” said SA head coach Giles Bonnet.
SA finished 11th at the Beijing 2008 Olympics.