- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
Big test for SA
- Updated: June 10, 2012
South African women’s hockey’s next step towards fine-tuning preparations ahead of the London Olympics later this year comes in London on Sunday afternoon.
That’s when our 12th ranked Investec side meets world number three Germany in the Investec London Cup bronze medal match in west London.
The SA versus Germany battle for third place will be live on SuperSport 6 at 2.15pm SA time Sunday.
SA suffered the heartbreak of losing to world number one and Olympic Games champions Holland 4-2 in a penalty shootout in the semi-finals on Saturday after the scores were 2-2 at full-time.
World number seven Australia beat Germany 3-2 in second semi-final and will tackle Holland in the gold medal match, which is also live on SuperSport 6 at 5pm SA time Sunday.
Last Tuesday, world 12 SA upset world No4 Great Britain 3-1 in their opening Pool B match in this six-nation competition that also includes Ireland, and were disappointed to be shaded 1-0 by world No3 Germany in their other Pool B match on Wednesday, and then lose a shootout to world number one-ranked Holland after being 2-2 at full-time in the semi-finals.
“With six weeks to go before London 2012 we are not close to where we want to be, but the results give us a good indication of where we are against the top teams and it’s very encouraging,” said SA head coach Giles Bonnet.
SA finished 11th at the Beijing 2008 Olympics.