- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
Hockey girls take on No1
- Updated: June 8, 2012
If ever they needed an indication of just where they slot in on the world hockey pecking order, our women’s hockey side got that on Thursday night.
That’s because the day’s results mean that Giles Bonnet’s girls will now play the world’s top side Holland in the first semi-final of the Investec London Cup in Chiswick on Saturday.
That’s after third-ranked Germany beat hosts Great Britain (ranked No4) in a Pool B game.
The Germans won 2-1, setting up the semi-final clash. Good news, not only for South African hockey fans but general sport and Olympic fans, is that the match will be televised live on SuperSport 4 on 3.30pm.
Thursday’s earlier match saw Holland beating Ireland to win Pool A.
Germany now take on seventh ranked Australia in the second semi-final at 6pm on Saturday.
The gold medal match will be screened live on Sunday (SS 6, 5pm) and the bronze-medal match is earlier, at 2.15pm.