- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
Hockey girls take on No1
- Updated: June 8, 2012
If ever they needed an indication of just where they slot in on the world hockey pecking order, our women’s hockey side got that on Thursday night.
That’s because the day’s results mean that Giles Bonnet’s girls will now play the world’s top side Holland in the first semi-final of the Investec London Cup in Chiswick on Saturday.
That’s after third-ranked Germany beat hosts Great Britain (ranked No4) in a Pool B game.
The Germans won 2-1, setting up the semi-final clash. Good news, not only for South African hockey fans but general sport and Olympic fans, is that the match will be televised live on SuperSport 4 on 3.30pm.
Thursday’s earlier match saw Holland beating Ireland to win Pool A.
Germany now take on seventh ranked Australia in the second semi-final at 6pm on Saturday.
The gold medal match will be screened live on Sunday (SS 6, 5pm) and the bronze-medal match is earlier, at 2.15pm.