- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
Hockey aces back
- Updated: June 1, 2012
Two South African hockey stars, and double Olympians to boot, return for Friday’s fourth Test against Scotland in Glasgow.
Kate Woods and world record goalscorer Pietie Coetzee, arrived in Glasgow on Thursday and joined the team in an extensive workout at the Clydesdale Hockey Club.
Both looked fresh and relaxed and were immediately throwing themselves enthusiastically into the core exercises and running drills under the direction of one of head coach Giles Bonnet’s group of trainers, Phil Estourgie of Holland.
SA are 2-0 up in the five-Test series and should go 3-0 up Friday, although Scotland captain Linda Clement and number one goalkeeper Amy Gibson will return after missing Scotland’s 4-2 third Test defeat on Wednesday night. The first Test last Sunday ended 2-2 and Monday’s second Test saw SA beat Scotland 2-1.
World number 18 Scotland are at a disadvantage though, without their four London 2012-bound Great Britain squad members, who Bonnet described as “phenomenal hockey players”
The world’s 12th-ranked Investec SA squad are now at full strength, although striker Lauren Penny is nursing a shoulder injury and undergoing daily treatment.